Paintings are an expression of being.
I have always painted as my primary expression.
When I was a young girl growing up in rural Finland,
I sold my paintings so I could buy plane tickets
and travel all over Europe, to learn about
different cultures, different ways of seeing.
2010 — 2018
No one compliments a photograph on the precision of it’s corners or the parallelness of its sides, much in the same way that no one compliments humans on the general rigidity of their hidden structures and biases. Yet it remains true that the borders of a photograph, like the prejudices of consciousness, are so defining, so rigid, so focus-making that both a “photograph” and a “human” would literally be nothing without them. No parameter ︎ no thing.
In the photographs of Riitta Herwitz there seems to be an inherent understanding and use of this hidden parametric. The typically clear, guiding subject is absent; the viewer is not escorted to a center and meaning; this puts uncanny emphasis on the usually hidden outline. This frame seems to momentarily rest on a situation rather than defining one — this is lovely and sort of like magic.
Riitta is a Finnish artist living and working in California. Her art honors process and flow, capturing stories in mixed media abstract paintings.
- Art is a play with distance and focus; art never arrives and is never in focus.
- Art and artists do not exist.
- Art and artists do exist.
- To take advantage of topicality is iniquity.
- Art is the friction between items 2 and 3.
- To make art you must be a butterfly catcher as well as a caterpillar.
- Confidence is always meretricious but like fangs is useful.
- If humans make art, so do all lifeforms, whether tulips or trout or whatever.
- “I am nature” is a really good artist’s statement.
- If item 2 is true, then artists never die.
- Art is not limited to “Art”.
- Artists are not the only “Artists”.
- Cynicism seems like a bad mode but so do earthquakes. Still optimism seems wise.
- No method or mode can be applied successfully to everything.
- A true “art” is unintelligible to everyone but the artist. Sorry.
- Anyone who gives more than he has is a thief.
- Your mind doesn’t tell you the truth.
EMAIL INSTAGRAM TWITTER